Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Take Me By The Hand


25During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
27But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
28“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
29“Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
32And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”
Matthew 14: 24-32

You know, Peter was one of God's chosen disciples. He had been with Jesus through so so much. He had seen first hand Jesus do miracles beyond his imagination. He believed that Jesus was truly the Son of God. The Messiah. He was totally sold out for Christ. Obviously Peter trusted Jesus incredibly, I mean, he got out of the boat! He even asked for Jesus to ask him to come. When Jesus did call him out, he went. Peter wanted to be extreme for God. Because of that, he got the chance to walk on water. Unfortunately, the storm surrounding him started to freak him out a bit.  He felt himself begin to sink. Can you imagine that feeling? Doing something incredible for God. Then looking around and realizing what it is your doing, and how crazy it is in the human mind. Standing on water and seeing waves and wind. Then the feeling of the water starting to reach the top of your feet, then higher and higher up your legs. He was afraid. "Lord, save me!" he begged. "Immediately Jesus reached out His hand and caught him. "You of little faith...why did you doubt?" Jesus saved Him. But can you imagine the feeling of reproach at being called someone of little faith? Ouch!

      Our first thoughts, "What the heck Peter! You were walking on water! You'd seen what God had done first hand, yet you doubted like that?!" But, I can't distance myself from Peter. I've seen the wonders of the Lord first hand in so many different ways. He has worked so many things out for me. Yet there are many times I take my eyes off of Him and start focusing on the waves. I know what HE has told me. I know where I am at with Him, but then I start seeing the waves of the world, and start doubting what I know He has spoken.

     This is something I've been struggling with in a couple different areas lately. One as we're getting ready to leave for outreach, and I haven't yet finished raising my money for this trip. Also, as I am making the plans to stay here once I get back, it just seems crazy at times. I'll be living in a foreign land with so little planning and really not knowing a whole lot, as a missionary, outside of the structure that my DTS has offered.  These just two examples of many in my life. 
Please pray for me.  That I keep my focus on God and listening to His voice instead of looking at the waves of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment