Monday, January 9, 2012

Work!!

Wow!! It's been forever since I last posted!! So much seems to have happened since then, so first a quick overview of life.

I graduated DTS on December 14 and over the following days said a very sad goodbye to most of the team. However, Ange Bethany and I had a little more time together. Thanks to Dave and Julie Mintz, I was able to go down with them, Bethany, and Ange and her parents to go spend a week on the beach in Phuket. Talk about beautiful! I got the best tan I've had in my entire life just chilling on the beach with Ange and Bethany. We had such a fun time and it's a week I'll never forget. At the end of the week, we came back to Chiang Mai and we said goodbye to Ange for a while.zi moved into the farm and now have my own room! It's pretty amazing. I even have something to put my clothes in instead of my suitcase. Oh the little things in life... Christmas dinner was over at the Rathmells house. It was great to be able to have Christmas in a home with a family and amazing food!!! I ate so much... man. Later that night Bethany and I went with the German team to go see Sherlock Holmes 2. It was an overall incredible day. Later that week, things got crazy again as we had a horse colic on us. Bethany had been spending the night that night and so her, Esther(my friend/housemate at the farm) and I pulled an all night keeping the horse alive. The poor thing had tubes up his nose, an iv, a hand up his bum and walked for hours. But he's alive now so that's what counts! :) That weekend it was New Years. Bethany, Esther and I spent New Years at the farm. We built a bonfire(that only took an hour, and some flammable house hold liquids to get started) and baked German bread and sausage over it. We all had so much fun and Bethany found her calling as a Piro.  Since then it has been just a life of figuring everything out around here. Learning the ropes of the daily schedule and all that fun stuff. The farm is finally starting to feel like some semblance of a home. My schedule starts at 6am and ends at 7pm. So life is super busy but good.

Something that I've really realized the past couple weeks is that if you tell God to take your life and let it be for Him and not about you, you'd better seriously mean it. There are so many sacrifices to living for Him. At the DTS graduating, Jenn Rathmell (who spoke that day :) ) told me that I would always be able to work myself into, or out of anything. But that I needed to be careful to not get caught on my working, but rather God working(I think getting caught up in pride also falls under that). That is totally true and I'm being soooo stretched right now over working! I like earning every little thing that I work for. But now I'm having to live off of support from people in the States and from the Farm. And honestly, I don't have much support raised from the States but there is nothing more I can do about that, I can't work anymore for that, it has to be God. That's scary to me! Also, when I stayed here, I lost  my plane ticket because they wouldn't let me trade to a later date. So I'm here with no plane ticket home and no way of making money to pay for one. That's terrifying! Even if I wanted I can't even just get a job at a local 7-11 because of work permits. I am currently sharing mopeds with friends and mostly having to depend on just riding with them. That's hard for me! I am having to live away from my family and friends who I love and miss so much! God is reminding me everyday that is through Him alone that I need to live. All of those things I learned during DTS I now get to put into practice. And it's hard. Now, I don't want any of this to come off as whining. I know it sounds like it. But truly, I'm happy here and I know that God has a complete and perfect plan. I trust Him and that He knows what He is doing much better than I do. But I also think there is often this allusion that if you are following God and giving your life to Him, things get easy. And that's just so not true! God called us to pick up our cross and follow Him. He didn't say anything about a flowers and gold. But He did say while we are bearing that cross, He's always there, and always loves, and is there to be our strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment