Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Monk Chat?

So last Friday night I got to experience something that was just sooo cool! We went to what is called a "Monk Chat." It is right outside some of their temples and also their university. You get to go and just talk to them and ask questions and they ask questions and practice their English. It was such a neat experience and I learned soo much about their beliefs. Did you know that there is a difference in reincarnation and rebirth? Rebirth is more Japan style Buddhism and that means they believe that they remember their past life, while reincarnation is when they don't remember their past life but right before they die their last thought determines what they will come back as. Also, karma isn't about 'what comes around goes around' in THIS life, but the next life. Also they don't have to be a monk for life, they can do it for as short as 10 days once they turn 20. Before that if they want to get into it they are just called novices. One of our monks name was Camping. He was hilarious! (Who would have thought, a funny monk) But he was saying how he was getting out of being a monk in a year or so so that he could get married. He also likes KFC and the hardest part about being a monk for him is that they can't eat after 12noon. The experience was eye opening. It also what such a neat experience to see monks go from faceless people i disagree with to real people, even though I still disagree with them.

Saturday we had another member join our team, so I have a new roommate. We now have 6 people living in the house. It's soo cool just to get to live like this with everyone. In itself it's a huge learning experience.

Things are getting in full swing at Abentur Farms. I have anywhere from 6-12 kids I teach every time I go out there. Really starting to build relationships there. And, while I was wondering how it would turn out to be a real outreach opportunity, some of the girls have started coming to the German church to be able to hang out with me even though they have never been to church, so that is just really neat.

We are starting on Friday to prepare for our outreach period which starts in mid October. We still aren't sure where all we'll be going but we're look at going to Cambodia, Vietnam and maybe Laos working with different organizations. We will be preparing skits and music and testimonies and different 'messages' that we'll all be doing.  I am pretty excited about this. We'll be living 7 weeks out of  a backpack.

As we're getting ready for outreach I really need to raise the rest of my support for the trip. Please prayerfully consider supporting me on this mission. I also put a paypal donation button on the blog to make it easier. Thank you for everyone who has already supported me(I am working on getting thank you letters out if you haven't already gotten them!)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the Monk Chat. We learn along with you. Hope you will be able to do this type of visit again. You are flowing into so many new areas and each has its own explorations and enchantments. Kinda like you are living several life experiences all tied into one package.
    Sharing your joy! G Jo

    ReplyDelete