Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Where's the confidence?

So I am really starting to work A LOT over at Abentuer Farms( http://abenteuer-farm.com/index/ ). I am working on traning two of their horses, Frodo and April, teaching riding lessons and helping with therapy. It is an amazing farm that I am sooo privileged to be a part of. Not only are they using horses to get into people's lives, everyday they give lessons or therapy they also set up a booth and tables and chairs and have other activities going on so the whole family can be there and they just really focus on building that relationship with the community as an opportunity for outreach. I am loving working there and it's just incredible. However, they all speak German, so I am now working on learning German in addition to Thai. I'm getting incredibly confused!! I also got to go to German church with them, which was super cool. I am getting spoiled after all the wonderful German cake.

This week I also got to experience the market and learned how to barter and rode a Tuk Tuk all in one evening. It was a blast just getting to walk around it.

While teaching this week, I realized something interesting. These 2 girls I was teaching where riding 2 very capable horses. They are both around 100-120ish lbs while the horses were 1200lbs. These horses carried them with ease and could have done much more than what we were looking for in the lesson. However, every time I asked them to do something with their horses, they only half-heartedly asked. They were so so so timid about asking, like they were frightened how the horse would react to their request and weren't sure they could really accomplish it. Then, when the horse didn't respond to their timid request, they gave up. This was kind of frustrating to me. I encouraged the girls to keep at it and not quit and to boldly ask the horses for the response. As I was sitting there telling them all of this though I was struck by how often we treat God like they were treating those horses. We are so timid in our asking of God. We claim to know His might and power and especially His love of us, however we ask Him for things like we are scared He'll be mad at us for asking or just isn't big enough. We choose medium sized things to pray for. We deem the little things to inconsequential to Him to bother bugging Him and the big things to crazy to ask for. Yet we're His kids. Why do we treat Him as uncaring or aloof and weak? All of these thoughts ran through my head as I'm sitting there in the middle of a muddy arena on the back of a horse giving riding lessons in German. These thoughts haven't left my mind and with these constant thoughts a new choice to start treating God more like my loving all might dad and less like some harsh, weak, person.

While writing this blog I also had a visit from my friend Cami from the states. She brought us some peanut butter!! We had a blast hanging out and then going with the rest of the team to go help out at an English club. We played games with a bunch of Thai and Chinese kids at Won Gen Kafe'. Then, we loaded everyone up and went bowling. We played for 3+ hours and just had such a fun time getting to know the people. I even got a turkey!!  I also now have a Thai name, since my name is a bit difficult for them to pronounce. Its Lukwad(it means candy, and they didn't even know how much I love candy!!)  I also had the opportunity to share about Jesus with some of the girls when they asked if they could interview me for a school project. It turned out one of them was even a new Christian so that was really cool!

God is definitely working here in a huge way. I'm loving living here and just learning to grow close to God in a whole new way. Please continue to pray for my teams and my safety here as well as the opportunity to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment